Bolivia Fair Trade/Organic - experiences and blending?

Have a successful roast method or profile. Discuss it here.

Bolivia Fair Trade/Organic - experiences and blending?

Postby Java_Rob » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:48 am

Hello,
I am new to roasting. I am using a Behmor drum roaster. I was pleasantly surprised by the Bolivian coffee (purchased here) - I wasn't aware of Bolivian coffee beforehand. Interestingly enough, I found that the bean is real sensitive to how long the roast cycle takes (true in general?). I roasted the same profile, but my power (wattage/voltage) was lower, and the same profile went from 18 min (13:30 for FC) out to 22 min, and the taste was real flat on the longer roast (excellent on the shorter roast). Is this typical? This much variance?

Second question - any recommendations of a bean to blend with the Bolivian?
Java_Rob
Starter

Re: Bolivia Fair Trade/Organic - experiences and blending?

Postby roastadmin » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Java_Rob, if your voltage is low then you will have extended roast times regardless of bean being roasted. This is an issue with any electric roaster as the heating elements output less then what they should. You will get baked, flatter tasting coffee as you have already noted. Firstly, I would suggest you measure the voltage so we can see how much you are off; secondly, make sure you do not use an extension cord! The further you extend the less voltage is available to the roaster, so plug the roaster directly into your outlet.

As for what bean(s) to blend with the Bolivian coffee, it would really depend on what you are trying to achieve. Are you looking to make the blended result brighter, more body, etc? Thanks.
roastadmin
Site Admin

Postby iso1600tx » Mon May 23, 2011 6:13 pm

In general, not using an extension cord is good advice. However, assuming you have normal voltage at an outlet very near your breaker box, and if the run from your breaker box to the outlet you use for your roaster is a really long length of 14 gauge wire, an extension cord might help. In my case, I used an extension cord plugged into an outlet near my breaker box instead of the outlet near my roasting table. A 50’ 12 gauge extension cord transformed my iRoast2 roasting experience from bla to bliss. You must make sure the voltage at the outlet you decide to use is 117 volts or higher when not in use. When measuring the voltage at the roaster, make sure you do it at the roaster’s plug with the roaster running in roast mode. If you are below 115 volts, that will most likely cause you to have longer roasting times. Just a couple of volts makes a HUGE difference on all 3 of my roasters. Ambient temperature will make a huge difference too. Good luck.
iso1600tx
Starter

Postby farmroast » Wed May 25, 2011 2:26 pm

What is your batch size on these longer roasts. Cutting it a bit will increase the heat transfer and speed up the roast.
farmroast
Starter

Return to Profiles and techniques