General questions

Discussion of models and features.

General questions

Postby Obruni » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:25 pm

I am considering buying a Technivorm but have a few general questions:
What is the benefit of the "brew-thru" lid?
What is the main difference between the thermal and the glass carafes?
How long does the thermal carafe keep the coffee hot?
Thanks,
Obruni
Obruni
Starter

Re: General questions

Postby roastadmin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 pm

What is the benefit of the "brew-thru" lid?
The BTL closes most of the opening of the thermal carafe during brewing so little or no heat escapes. There is a small opening in it into which coffee directly brews. The BTL is to be left in the thermal carafe, which can then be parked back in the base. Coffee can be poured with the BTL in place and there is no need to partially nor fully unscrew it while brewing, as there are small 'teeth' hidden around its perimeter for coffee to run through.

What is the main difference between the thermal and the glass carafes?
Thermal carafes are sealed vacuum units and keep coffee hot without applying additional heat from a soleplate. Glass carafes have no heat keeping qualities and they are used on models equipped with two-stage heating soleplates.

How long does the thermal carafe keep the coffee hot?
Coffee will stay hot for a couple of hours but after that quality will decline even though it might stay hot. This is true in any thermal carafe, not just Technivorm's. As the quantity of coffee decreases within the carafe the rate of heat loss increases. In other words a nearly full pot will stay hot longer than one with only a small amount remaining. By the way, when not brewing coffee, you can also use thermal carafes to keep cold beverages cold.
roastadmin
Site Admin

Re: General questions

Postby Eddiee » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:00 pm

I am also looking to purchase brew-thru . I heard a lot about its performance and results.
Eddiee
Starter

Return to Thinking of buying a Technivorm