Green bean recommendation for light roast espresso

Have a successful roast method or profile. Discuss it here.

Green bean recommendation for light roast espresso

Postby Gregr » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:09 am

So many of the roasts I do for espresso are ended just a few seconds into second crack that I feel like I need to experiment with lighter espresso roasts. What would you recommend as a good candidate for a single origin FC- or even C+ ? I've got lots of beans in the cupboard- Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Kenya, Sumatra blah blah blah blah :lol:
Gregr
Starter

Re: Green bean recommendation for light roast espresso

Postby roastadmin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:50 am

Gregr, without knowing which exact coffees you have it is hard to be specific. The Ethiopia stands out and probably would be interesting. The El Salvador is likely either a Bourbon or Pacamara, both good candidates. Start experimenting but you are on the right track with keeping the coffees lighter. You will wind up with more sweetness and flavor. Look for good naturals from Ethiopia or Brazil; honeys and naturals from Costa Rica and Panama. Those would be excellent starting points. 8-)
roastadmin
Site Admin

Re: Green bean recommendation for light roast espresso

Postby Gregr » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Thanks! I got swamped with work and haven't been able to follow up on this. I have some of the Panama Elida that is a super sweet- I'll give that a try. I've been experimenting with blends and that's the bean I use for the 'sweet' element. But so far I've only roasted it at FC+.
There's a few different Ethiopias, Brazils and the La Minita from Costa Rica in the cupboard so you've given me plenty of homework to do :D
Gregr
Starter

Return to Profiles and techniques