Recommend beans that roast to deep chocolate/nutty taste

Have a successful roast method or profile. Discuss it here.

Recommend beans that roast to deep chocolate/nutty taste

Postby mikepeery » Mon May 16, 2011 11:36 pm

I have tried various green beans and roasted them differently in search of a cappuccino that is robust, deeply chocolate, nutty, and stays in your mouth like hot cocoa. I found some beans from Peru Ubriki Valley a year ago from Roastmasters that tasted perfect to me when roasted to about 30 seconds into the 2nd crack on my Behmor 1600. I can't find that bean anymore. I like the Brazilian Yellow Bourbon, but it isn't as good as the Peruvian.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
mikepeery
Starter

Re: Recommend beans that roast to deep chocolate/nutty taste

Postby StonesRoastingGarage » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:00 am

Try some of the beans I mention below they are my favorite beans so far and no matter what other beans I have tried I make certain to keep some of them in stock.

Costa Rica Lamenta Tarrzu I think the flavor profile might suite what your looking for or at least come close. The bean size and flavor is super consistent. I've been roasting it for 3 years now in my Behmor 1600 and I just love it . It takes dark roasting really well and to me 10 to 20 seconds past the second crack at P1 profile seems to be ideal to get the chocolatey nutty flavors to come out.

I have been watching for it to come back around but haven't seen if again yet the only coffee that fits this flavor profile that I have liked better than the LaMinta would be a coffee called "Columbia Supremo Huelia." OMG, hands down it is my all time favorite. If it is ever back in stock I will order 25 lbs or more, its awesome.

I use about a pound of coffee per week.
StonesRoastingGarage
Starter

Re: Recommend beans that roast to deep chocolate/nutty taste

Postby farmroast » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:45 am

lengthening the ramp from when the beans tan to first crack will help bring out nuttiness as long as it's in the coffee in the first place.
farmroast
Starter

Return to Profiles and techniques